Thursday, November 15, 2012

Brain Donation

I think I may have hit a new low in terms of writing depressing articles for my blog.  But seriously, this is something many with PD would like to know more about.

I have never been thrilled with the idea of donating body parts following death, though I always understood the need.  That has changed over the course of the last few years in a way that seems consistent with my desire to "make a difference".  Like many with PD, I have become interested in donating my brain for PD research (preferably, after death).  After all, what good is it going to do me after I am gone anyway.  My wife would probably say that it isn't doing me much good now (just kidding).  

There is an excellent article on this subject of the Parkinson Disease Foundation website at 
http://www.pdf.org/en/parkinson_brain_donation.

I found that many of the alternatives for donation involve a payment that can be substantial (sort of like shipping & handling-weak attempt at humor which this article desperately needs).  I was able to find an option that did not involve a charge at:

Human Brain and Spinal Fluid Resource Center

VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System
West Los Angeles Healthcare Center (127A) 
11301 Wilshire Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90073 
(310) 268-3536 - Bank Office 
Email: brainbnk@ucla.edu

Contact them if you would like to explore this option.




No comments:

Post a Comment