Thursday, March 5, 2015

Change of Direction Progess Report 3

Image result for weight loss pictures

I am not trying to belabor this topic by providing these updates.  I am hoping that by sharing these details, others in my position will get a better idea of how to approach the issue of weight loss, keeping in mind that what I am really attempting to accomplish is overall wellness (via a program combining weight loss, exercise, and nutrition).  For more information or to locate a participating doctor in your area visit https://www.centerformedicalweightloss.com/.

Just in case I have not made this clear, the basic philosophy of the program I am using is to consume less calories on a daily/weekly basis than my metabolism.  Including the protein shakes the program provides, I had been consuming about 1250 calories per day (roughly half of "typical" metabolism, which I am trying to ramp up with increased exercise).  

Because I was concerned about losing too much too fast (not a good thing), I "loosened the reins" a bit to about 1400 calories per day, including a "serving" of red wine (4 oz.) in the evening.  My report today at the doctor's office indicated that I had lost an additional five pounds (now 23.5 lbs. total), three pounds of which was fat so I am still losing weight but at a decreased rate.  I am only five pounds from the goal I had set.

It definitely feels good to have lost this weight.  I am able to wear clothes that I haven't worn for years, so I have a lot of "new" wardrobe choices available to me.  I do have more energy in spite of the chronic fatigue that is part of my PD "package".  For example, I filled in for my son at a "father-daughter" dance recently (she is eight years old) and danced (more or less) for two hours.  I had a great time!  It always feels good to reach an important goal I have set for myself.

I realize now that the length of the program is important.  It is giving me time to "reprogram" myself.  I am developing new habits in terms of using the calorie book (particularly helpful in restaurants), portion size, and desirable level of the appropriate exercise.  I have said for many years that I am most comfortable making "informed choices".  I plan to put what I have learned into practice once the program is completed.  I have spent too many years "in the dark" not really wanting to know what I didn't know.  Now I know.  Ignorance,as it turns out, is NOT bliss.  OK, I'm getting carried away now, but you get the point.

This is not to say that I intend to never have another dessert or pastry, but when I do it will be an informed choice and will not lead to abandonment of the new habits I have only started to ingrain.  Also, this is a choice I have made for myself and I do not plan to become a "wellness evangelist".  That said, I will glad to discuss this subject with anyone who is interested.

All this talk is nice, but the real test will be my ability to stay on this path long term.  Once again, I am committed to doing this.

No comments:

Post a Comment